Kentucky River Foothills Development Council, Inc. is accepting applications for the Summer Cooling Subsidy and Crisis portion of the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (LIHEAP). Applications can be made through September 30, 2022, or until available funds have been expended. The program assists households offset their electric costs.
The Subsidy component helps households offset electric costs by providing a one-time benefit ranging from $100 to $400 depending on income levels and housing categories.
The Crisis component is available to eligible households who demonstrate a home energy crisis situation. Crisis benefits will cover the minimum needed to alleviate the crisis not to exceed $600. Households can reapply each time they experience a crisis situation until maximum benefit is reached. Households must bring a disconnect/past due notice (example: arrearage payment plan, past due notice, termination notice, or final notice). If rent includes cooling, a copy of lease and eviction notice.
A household is considered to be eligible for energy assistance when the household meets the basic eligibility criteria which includes:
- completion of an application;
- is responsible for home energy costs, directly or as an undesignated portion of their rent;
- have a combined household income, for the calendar month prior to the month of application, not in excess of 150% of the federal poverty level as listed in the Income Eligibility Guidelines; and
- live in Kentucky when the application is made and apply in the county of residence.
All assistance provided with LIHEAP Subsidy and Crisis funds must be directly related to resolving the household’s electric costs. Benefits are paid directly to the electric vendor. Applicants must provide the following:
- A LIHEAP Application packet must be completed (obtain from local outreach office)
- Electric bill or lease (if electric costs are included as an undesignated portion of rent).
- Proof of Social Security Number or Permanent Residence card (Green Card) for each member of the household.
- Proof of all household income from the preceding month.
LIHEAP operates on an appointment-based system. You can schedule your appointment by calling 859-544-1713 or online at https://foothillscap.itfrontdesk.com
Requests for assistance can also be made by contacting:
Clark Co: 859-744-3235, [email protected]
Estill Co: 606-723-4492, email [email protected]
Madison Co: 859-623-6514, email [email protected]
Powell Co: 606-663-2659, email [email protected]
Residents outside KRFDC’s service region of Clark, Estill, Madison and Powell counties can find their community action agency here: https://www.capky.org/network/
LIHEAP is a statewide initiative sponsored by Community Action Kentucky Inc. in partnership with the Cabinet for Health and Family Services (CHFS) and is directly funded by the U.S. Department for Health and Human Services, Administration for Children and Families.