Steps to Homeownership
Homeownership counseling is a free service offered in Estill and Powell County. This service is provided for first time homebuyers with low to moderate income. The counseling program will educate participants in every aspect of the home buying process.
The Homeownership Program consists of one-on-one counseling sessions as well as group discussions. These sessions are designed to help potential homebuyers become more aware of the following:
- Applying for a mortgage
- Down payment and closing costs
- Credit repair and budgeting
- Making sound credit decisions
- Setting and achieving goals
- Being a smart consumer
- Establishing emergency savings funds
- Maintaining your home
- The monthly income of the family cannot exceed 80% of current HUD income guidelines.
- The monthly income of the family must be sufficient to support a mortgage payment necessary to purchase a modest home in Powell County.
- Must be willing to cooperate as well as participate in taking necessary actions required to be met. This includes but is not limited to contacting creditors, paying on delinquent credit/collections, and assertiveness necessary for credit repair.
- Participants who fail to meet the above listed requirements will be excused from the program if deemed necessary.
For more information contact: Gathala Strange
111 Collins Street
Irvine, KY 40336
212 10th Ave.
Clay City, KY 40312
Homeownership/Rehab Counseling is funded through Kentucky Housing Corporation and the Department of Housing and Urban Government.