Volunteers play a vital role in the Kentucky River Foothills Head Start Program. Some examples of volunteers may include a parent/guardian of an enrolled child, a family member of an enrolled child, a community member, or a college student. Volunteers must meet the volunteer requirements set by each Head Start location. The volunteer requirements may vary depending upon the location in which you are interested in volunteering.
Some ways in which volunteers are utilized in the Head Start program include:
- Serving on a Parent Committee
- Volunteering in the classroom or at another designated location within a site
- Read to the children
- Assist teachers in getting materials together
- Share a hobby or talent with the children
- Assist at a parent event
- Work on bulletin boards
- Assist with basic repairs needed at a site
- Serve on the Head Start Area Policy Council or the Health Advisory Committee
This is not an inclusive list, but gives some suggested ideas of ways to assist in the program.
For additional information about volunteering in the program, please contact the site that you are interested in volunteering. If you are a parent/guardian or family member, please contact your child’s teacher or family services worker. You may also contact Debbie Clark, Parent Involvement Coordinator, at 859/623-7233.